Thursday, November 12, 2009

Facing the holidays and beyond

It's quiet in my house tonight. I like that. I am utterly exhausted after a long week and the peace of being able to sit down and blog is much welcomed. The holidays are almost upon me and those days are going to be very very trying. How to face the first ones alone. I guess it really won't be much different than the last few years. I am just not going to be pretending that everything is hunky dorey and that my husband and I are a great couple with no secret and nothing is wrong. Maybe it will be easier than what I am expecting.

I have pretty much been gearing myself towards single parenting for a long time anyway. Or maybe it was just more like I had a roommate who helped with the kids.

I did go out the other week and get some storage containers. I also looked into renting a storage space to put them. I won't be able to move into my parent's house until after the first of the year and really don't need to clutter up their space with some of my household and kitchen items. Storing them until I get my own place seems like a logical solution.

I looked at my budget and plan on trying like heck to be debt free by this time next year. It's completely doable. i just need to stick with it. I have been very lax in my financial planning over the last few years. It was just as much fun for me to spend it as it was for me to earn it. That attitude needs to change and it needs to change today. I suppose I could consider it a "green" challenge. I do that every so often...pick a month and not buy anything that is not an absolute necessity. I know it's the wrong time of year to attempt it for a month but maybe I could try it for a few weeks. Maybe I just need to reevaluate my way of shopping for holiday presents also.

I also started looking at houses online. It helps me prioritize, looking at what I could afford and planning on how to budget for that for the future. I should take what it would cost me for a house payment and put that towards my debt every month. That would be great practice. A true exercise to test my resolve at getting towards my goal. Hmmmm. I think I'm on to something here!!

1 comment:

  1. looks like you have a good plan and an optimistic view. I think your holidays will be fine with your attitude. Sometimes it's easier putting something behind you instead of living a lie. We'll see huh?

    ReplyDelete